Having diamonds is a lifelong dream for a lot of people. But how how can you tell if a Diamond is real or fake? There are a few different ways we can establish if a diamond is real or fake. We can use some tests upon looking to buy a diamond from a shop.
So, how can you tell a real diamond from a fake?
1. The Fog Test – Take the diamond and place it in front of your mouth, maybe a few centimeters away, enough space to breath on it to make it fog up, just like you would with a mirror or other object. If you find that the fog lasts a few seconds then the chances are the diamond is fake. A proper diamond disperses the heat that is coming from your breath and in turn will not fog up that diamond that easily. Even if the diamond does fog up, you should find it clears a lot faster if the diamond is real.
2. Checking the mount and setting – Diamonds are never set in cheap metal. Check for stamps inside the setting, you should find they are real gold or platinum (Plat, PT, 950, 900, 750, 585, 18k, 15k and 10k) are all good signs when looking to buy a diamond. If you do happen to find “C.Z.” stamps, this will be a big giveaway and will prove that the center stone is probably not a real diamond. CZ stands for Cubic Zirconia which is a type of synthetic diamond.
3. Using an Owens Jeweller’s loupe to inspect the diamond – With every purchase ew allow our customers to use a loupe to inspect every single diamond we sell. If you are at another store then ask them if you can inspect the diamond yourself using a loupe, they should provide this for you.
Mined diamonds usually have small naturally occurring mistakes and imperfections, which are called “inclusions,” that can be seen with some sort of magnifying tool such as a loupe. Look for small flecks of minerals, or very small color changes. These are both signs that you’re dealing with a real, although (not totally pure/not totally correct), diamond. Note that Cubic Zirconium almost 99% of the time do not contain these mistakes and imperfections. This is because they are grown in labs or specific sterile environments rather than Earth’s environment.
4. Look for refractivity in the stone – Looking at the stones refractivity should give you a good idea if the stone is real or fake. Diamonds obviously allow light to pass through them, which result in a beautiful appearance. We can use two methods to see if the stone is real.
The Dot Test: Simply draw a strong dot in black pen on a piece of white paper. Take the diamond and place it directly over the center of the stone. Then, looks straight directly down the diamond. You can tell if the diamond is fake as it will give off a circular reflection in the stone. If you cannot see the dot then the changes that your diamond is real is very high.
Newspaper Process: Take your stone and turn it upside down. Take a piece of newspaper and lay the stone on top of it. This will allow you to read the print through the diamond. If you can read the print or even see distorted black text then your diamond is probably a fake. You can tell if the diamond is real as the light will be bent so sharply that you will still be able to read the text from the paper.
5. Ask a professional – Every single day we have customers come into the shop to check if a diamond is real or fake. With 42 years of experience we would be able to tell you in 20 seconds if the diamond is real or fake. Looking at diamonds for such a long time comes natural to us and we will give you an honest opinion of the stone and how much it is worth.
So, How can you tell a real diamond from a fake? Simply pop into our store or book a quick appointment with us by calling us on 0191 265 8689 and we will be very happy to help you out.